*Non-AIGA events around Houston
1. AUTHORS & ASIA: XIAOLU GUO, I AM CHINA, SEPTEMBER 3RD, 7PM | ADMISSION: $10 Non–members / $5 Members
Meet the author. The renowned author’s newest novel explores rock ’n’ roll, revolution, and romance, seductively woven together.
Asia Society Texas Center, 1370 Southmore Blvd, Houston, TX 77004. INFO
2. BAYOU CITY HAPPY HOUR, SEPTEMBER 4TH, 5PM – 7PM | FREE
Bayou City Magazine is all about engaging with our Bayou City community, as well as finding and creating unique and memorable experiences. Join the Bayou City Magazine team for our monthly happy hour!
Tango & Malbec, 2800 Sage Rd, Houston, TX 77056. INFO
3. TEXAS CONTEMPORARY VIP PARTY, SEPTEMBER 4TH – 7TH, 7:30PM – 10:00PM | ADMISSION: $25 – $100
George R. Brown Convention Center – HALL D, 1001 Avenida De Las Americas Houston, Texas 77010. INFO
4. ENERGY CACHE & THE IMAGINED PROMISE, SEPTEMBER 5TH, 6PM – 9PM | FREE
An Exhibition Opening for Robert Harrington. Using mass-produced objects and ordinary materials reconfigured into an art context, Harrington’s work looks at how we might individualize or personalize things that are inherently not produced to be individual. Through drawings and actualized inventions that imply a function, he explores themes that include the idea of objects’ potential and the concepts of what could be versus what is.
Post-Studio Projects, 2315 Commerce St, Houston, Texas 77002. INFO
5. THE ARTIST’S EYE: THREE HOUSTON ARTISTS COLLECT PRINTS, JUNE 12TH – SEPTEMBER 6TH, 10AM – 5PM, Tuesday – Saturday | FREE
The Printing Museum and PrintMatters are pleased to present “The Artist’s Eye: Three Houston Artists Collect Prints”, an exhibition of original prints from the collections of three Houston artists: Penny Cerling, Patrick Palmer, and Arthur Turner. With works selected by independent curator and art consultant, Elise Arnoult Miller, this exhibition offers an insider’s view of the works that hang on these artist’s walls. Each of these artist-collectors brings a different focus to print collecting.
The Museum of Printing History 1324 W. Clay Street, Houston, Texas 77019. INFO