Become a Chapter Leader
Our city is led by several creative leaders.
Help us continue the legacy.
Lead and serve our community to elevate Houston’s creative landscape.
Help serve our local community and determine the future of AIGA Houston. As a 100% volunteer-run organization, our chapter is dependent on the commitment and dedication of our chapter leaders to serve our local AIGA members and the wider creative community.
Chapter Leader Applications
Interested candidates may apply through our annual Board Nominations process or follow steps from our Get Involved packet to join in the middle of an active term.
Who is Eligible
- Creatives living in Houston or surrounding regions
- Self- or peer-nominations are welcome
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Nonprofit governance knowledge is not required, but highly encouraged
- Board position: AIGA membership required
- Committee position: AIGA membership not required, but highly encouraged
Please note: Current- or interim-serving chapter leaders who fail to fulfill their agreed upon commitments may be subjected to removal by board vote.
Volunteer Service Roles
We have 5 different role levels. Chapter leaders who serve AIGA Houston are divided into 2 categories:
- Board Members = Govern and strategize for the chapter
- Terms are 2 years
- Committee Members = Implement programs and initiatives
- Terms are 1 year
Role agreements outlining your commitment must be signed at the start of your term.
Board Nominations and Chapter Elections
Each year, we conduct Board Nominations and Chapter Elections. Board Nominations offers an opportunity to nominate individuals to become a chapter leader. In accordance with our bylaws, board and committee members are then voted in through Chapter Elections.
How it Works
- Board Nominations opens.
- Candidates apply or get peer-nominated through our nomination form.
- The nomination period typically runs from January to March.
- Nominating Committee reviews candidates for election.
- Applicants are reviewed and interviewed by the appointed Nominating Committee.
- The committee ensures the chapter finds the most qualified and diverse group of candidates to serve our community.
- The committee proposes a slate of election candidates to be approved by the current AIGA Houston board.
- AIGA members vote in Chapter Elections.
- The chapter slate is presented to AIGA Houston members for a majority vote election.
- Members vote through our election form via slate voting, which is a simple up or down vote of the entire chapter slate.
- The Chapter Election period typically runs from May to June.
- Elected candidates are announced.
- Elected candidates are announced the week after elections close.
- Candidates begin chapter onboarding process.
- New board/committee members start their term on July 1.
- 2024 Board Nominations close Friday, March 1, 2024, 11:59 p.m. CT.
- See details for this year’s application here.
Get Involved Midterm
Missed Board Nominations, but still want to become a chapter leader? Midterm vacancies can be filled outside of our normal Board Nomination and Chapter Elections with a prospect period. Learn more about AIGA Houston with the below packets.
- Get Involved: Understand next steps to become a midterm chapter leader.
- Master Positions: Understand our available chapter positions.
Questions? Reach out to the chapter officers.