*Non-AIGA events around Houston
1. VINYL NIGHT AT MKT BAR, JULY 30TH, 7PM | FREE
Don’t miss hearing The Suffers’ leading lady Kam Franklin pump some tunes on the wheels of steel.
MKT BAR, 1001 Austin Street Houston, TX 77010. INFO
2. OPENING RECEPTION OF THE EXHIBITION “ROMANTIC POSTERS OF THE BREZHNEV ERA,” FRIDAY, AUGUST 1st at 7:30PM | FREE
The exhibition will feature “a unique collection of hand-painted versions of Soviet posters from a time of great stagnation by local Houston artist, Valentina Kisseleva, a contemporary artist and painter whose genius stands at the intersection of realism and cubism.”
CaviArt Gallery / RCC Our Texas, 2337 Bissonnet Houston, TX 77005 INFO
3. HOUSTON RESTAURANT WEEK KICKS OFF FRIDAY, AUGUST 1st
Participating restaurants will offer their Houston Restaurant Weeks special meals every day they are open from August 1 through September 1, 2014.
There are no tickets to purchase. You just dine out and know you’re doing good for the Houston Food Bank!
4. WILLIAM KENT: DESIGNING FOR THE GRAND TOUR TASTE, FRIDAY, AUGUST 1st, 6 TO 7PM | ADMISSION: $5 MFAH members / $20 Nonmembers
A reception to meet the speaker follows the lecture. Guests may also enjoy the exhibition Houghton Hall: Portrait of an English Country House until 8PM.
MFAH, Law Building, Lower Level , 1001 Bissonnet INFO
5. WHITE LINEN NIGHT IN THE HEIGHTS, AUGUST 2nd, 6 TO 10PM
Come promote and enjoy your local Heights businesses in your white linens…
6. BLACK INK NITE AT BURNING BONES PRESS, AUGUST 2nd, 6 TO 9PM
Join Burning Bones Press for BLACK INK NITE – during White Linen Night in the Heights – get your white linen dirty with the greatest color in the world – Black Ink! Get prints from BBP members, LETTERPRESS demonstrations, WOODCUT demos and more … and … get “The Astronomer”- an ongoing graphic novel by artist Matt Rebholz . New book release and signing.
Burning Bones Press 1518 Yale St Apt 1, Houston, Texas 77008 INFO
7. CHANGING LANGUAGE, CHANGING WORLDS MURAL PROJECT, JULY 25th TO SEPTEMBER 13th | FREE
Be sure to check out the mural project at The Printing Museum, 1324 W. Clay Street, Houston, Texas 77019 INFO